[NeXus-committee] Instrument Definitions

Pete R. Jemian prjemian at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 06:08:40 BST 2006

Andy:

The present NXmotor is pretty basic ... a generic positioner.
(http://www.nexus.anl.gov/mediawiki/index.php?title=NXmotor)
I believe we agreed to define it this way with the plan
to revise it in the future.  Nick suggests that we consider
NXpositioner since non-motor items (such as piezoelectric
transducer, temperature, magnet current, or magnet field
strength) are often used as the scanned or independent variable.

I propose renaming NXmotor to NXpositioner, as in:
http://www.nexus.anl.gov/mediawiki/index.php?title=NXpositioner
and then we add this for ratification.

Pete

Andy Gotz wrote:
> Hi Pete,
>
> can we add NxMotor to thes to be ratified? Where should it be added? It
> is not an instrument.
>
> Andy
>
> Peterson, Peter F. wrote:
>
>> I am being "gently" reminded from a couple of people that we are a bit
>> late on getting more instrument definitions ratified. If you think that
>> a instrument definition that you have been working on is ready for
>> ratification added to the list in the section at the bottom of
>> <http://www.nexus.anl.gov/mediawiki/index.php?title=Instruments>
>> We will hold a vote on the proposed definitions in the near future. I am
>> not saying when since it greatly depends on how fast everybody links to
>> definitions.
>>
>> Also, feel free to update the links on this page to the proper
>> definitions as well.
>>
>> Peter Peterson
>> NeXus International Advisory Committee, Chair

  Dr. Pete R. Jemian                   <jemian at anl.gov>
  Beam line Controls and Data Acquisition, Group Leader
  Advanced Photon Source,   Argonne National Laboratory
  Argonne, IL  60439                   630 - 252 - 3189