[NeXus-committee] NeXus definitions tidy up and versioning

Akeroyd, FA (Freddie) F.A.Akeroyd at rl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 24 19:13:55 GMT 2007

Nick,

Thank you for your recollection of the meeting. For instrument
definitions the ones currently in subversion
(http://svn.nexusformat.org/definitions/trunk/instruments/) and their
status are:

NXMONOPD (ratified)
NXMONOREF (planned)
NXMONOTAS (ratified)
NXMUONTD (planned)
NXTOFNIGS (planned)
NXTOFNPD (planned)

After a little discussion we should arrange to vote on:

Proposal (1a): keep NX prefix and short names for all definitions
Proposal (1b): remove NX prefix from these, but stick to short names for
definitions
Proposal (1c): use more descriptive longer name (which we then need to
decide)

Looking at http://www.nexusformat.org/Instruments there are several
other definitions mentioned there that will need to have an official
name decided before they can be moved to subversion e.g. "Generic
scanning instrument" (ratified), "Monochromatic Neutron and X-ray Single
Crystal Diffractometer" (proposed, split into two parts: 4 circle single
and 4 circle psd), Archive definition (proposed) etc. How is the best
way to go about this - create a WIKI page of possible names?

I have a final question regarding WIKI formatting of definitions. These
are converted on the fly from XML to tables when displayed from
subversion, which I think helps with readability for base classes e.g.
http://www.nexusformat.org/NXdetector For instrument definitions I
generate a hierarchy of tables e.g.
http://www.nexusformat.org/Time-of-Flight_Neutron_Powder_Diffraction  Do
people find this view helpful or confusing? Is there another
representation that would be more helpful?

Regards,

Freddie