[NeXus-committee] Questionaire Reminder

POIRIER Stephane stephane.poirier at synchrotron-soleil.fr
Wed Sep 19 14:09:34 BST 2012

Hi all NeXus guys,

SOLEIL don't participate to the NAIC meeting this year, but we think you may be interested about the status of NeXus in our facility.

Statistics:

20 out of 26 beamlines record data using NeXus
2 millions files since beginning of operations
1.4 million during the last 24 months

All new beamlines that have started after 2009 use the NeXus format as their primary data format

We originally encountered barriers to the use of NeXus due to the lack of tools able to read this format.
As you probably known, this difficulty was partially solved by the use of an extractor tools producing files in old formats (ASCII or binary).
However with the new scanning technics based on large 2D detectors, those old file formats are definitively outdated.
We are working on new data analysis tools using the CDMA as data access layer. We hope to definitively solve the issue of file format and data structure when writing analysis code.
However, the effort of standardization through the NeXus Application Definition is still a very good thing. It should help to define the keywords will be used by data reduction applications that use the CDMA api.

Best regards,

Stéphane