[NeXus-committee] DECTRIS example summary

Watts Benjamin Benjamin.Watts at psi.ch
Mon Jan 14 14:51:34 GMT 2013

I think that everyone is looking at the Dectris data the wrong way. It
is a single data array and is only broken up into separate files because
of performance issues. Therefore, ideally, all the data shoud be written
into a single NXdata group. Since we are forced to receive it in
separate files, linking is an obvious solution. However, links in NeXus
have always been discrete - mapping one location to one array in another
location. Our situation here is different, with the one array being
separated into a number of pieces in different locations. The master
file needs some way of saying "my data is there, and then continues
there, and there and there...", which does not yet exist (to the best of
my knowledge). Options for doing this include:

1. The NXdata group of the master file contains a list of external
links, with the order of the list describing the order in which the
linked arrays should be concatenated.
2. The master NXdata group links to the first part of the array and then
the file containing that first part has some record pointing to where
the data is continued.
3. Both could be done together.

Option #1 seems best to me.

Cheers,