[NeXus-committee] DECTRIS example summary

Wintersberger, Eugen eugen.wintersberger at desy.de
Mon Jan 14 21:23:19 GMT 2013

Hi Pete

On Mon, 2013-01-14 at 14:59 -0600, Pete Jemian wrote:
> Armando's point is right (or on the right track, at least).
>
> DECTRIS (and others) need to shovel large batches of data (image frames)
> into HDF5 files as fast as possible.  For them, this means a very
> shallow structure - no subgroups - just data in the root directory.  For
> multiple access reasons (pointed out earlier today), each new batch goes
> into a new file.

I do not see why subgroups shall have any influence on the performance.
In my approach you have 3 groups per batch-file where the detector group
holds the 3d-block with images. But it is just a suggestion.

> A master NeXus file needs to identify all the files and parts so they
> can be reassembled into a sensible and complete set of data.  Since, in
> the DECTRIS plan, they are representing slices of multi-dimensional data
> in different HDF5 datasets, the resulting NeXus master file needs to be
> able to describe the final structure and reference the locations of all
> the parts.  The parts can be found using external links.  We don't have
> a way to describe how the parts fit into the multi-dimensional data.
> That's needed.

I can remember that Halil Pasic, a PHD student at KIT (Karslruher
Institut fuer Technologie), discussed this problem with me last year. He
has a framework for doing this. I guess that his draft still needs some
work but to my opinion he has the solution for this problem.
I can contact him tomorrow and discuss this issue with him.

> I'm not sure we decided (maybe because I was not in the room at the
> time) to move the signal attribute from the dataset to the parent NXdata
> group.  Even if we did, for sure, the manual does not say that.  Yet.
> I'm convinced NeXus should do this.  The DECTRIS data shows why we would
> be so motivated.
>
> Pete

Eugen