[NeXus-committee] Next DECTRIS Summary

Mark Koennecke Mark.Koennecke at psi.ch
Fri Jan 18 07:00:59 GMT 2013

\
Peter,

On 01/17/2013 05:23 PM, Peterson, Peter F. wrote:
> We (read: SNS) is currently dividing our (raw) data into separate 'banks'
> to make chopping up large runs easier. We do have matching
> /NXentry/NXinstrument/NXdetector for each /Nxentry/NXdata. Will this no
> longer be considered proper NeXus?
I consider this still good NeXus. The trouble is that with DECTRIS we
need to compromise
in order to cover a variety of problems:
* The lack of parallel compressed writing in HDF-5
* The slow compression algorithm in HDF-5
* There is a demand to start DA during DAQ. The Dectris scheme allows
this. HDF-5 not really,
    they are implementing SWMR now, Multi Writer, Multi Reader, MWMR, is
not even being
    considered.
* The need to write large amounts of data quickly. Their detector
delivers 5GB/sec. A value we neutron
    people can only dream of. Even at SNS or ESS.
* The impossibility for Dectris to ask their customers to provide proper
HW, like a parallel FS etc. They
    can only control the computers they deliver with the detector.

Regards,

             Mark