[NeXus-committee] Context for NeXus detectors

Benjamin Watts benjamin.watts at psi.ch
Thu May 23 11:35:05 BST 2013

Hi Everyone,
    My instrument type (Scanning Transmission X-ray Microscope) can be
set up with multiple detectors, each measuring different things that
require slightly different analysis treatments. We can measure the
transmitted X-ray beam, photoelectrons (from either the front or rear
surface, or by measuring the drain current from the sample, which would
correspond to both surfaces) and fluorescent X-rays - possibly all
simultaneously. It is probably possible to figure out what is what from
the "type" and "position" fields, but it seems a bit awkward for the
file reader to figure out the mapping from the detector type to the
measured quantity and it would be better for the file writer to simply
state it in a new field.
    I am thinking to suggest a new "measured_quantity" field (with
values like "transmitted_photon", "fluorescent_photon", "photoelectron",
etc.) for NXdetector as a solution to my problem, but first I would like
to gather input from others who face similar issues with multiple
detector types. I would also be glad to hear other view-points and
experiences on this topic.

Cheers,
Ben