[NeXus-committee] Vote on NXpinhole and NXslit

Wintersberger, Eugen eugen.wintersberger at desy.de
Tue May 6 10:59:36 BST 2014

Hi Ben

On Mon, 2014-05-05 at 11:44 +0200, Benjamin Watts wrote:
> Hi,
>    Aren't the proposed classes effectively the same as an NXaperture
> that describes the size of the "hole", as is allowed in the
> definition? I don't see any need for the proposed classes, but I'll
> give Eugen a chance to explain before I vote against it.

You are right, NXaperture would do the job too but has several flaws
1.) it is simply to complex for a simple pinhole or a 4 blade slit.
    I would only use it in the case of very complex apertures.
    From an object oriented point of view NXpinhole and NXslit
    are specialized versions of NXaperture with a very simple
    interface.
2.) NXaperture depends highly on NXgeometry. Unfortunately
    the primitive shapes described in NXgeometry are not
    well defined which makes them rather difficult to use.

In fact I would find it more convenient to have simple classes for the
standard situations (pinholes and 2- or 4-blade slits) rather than
always use the complex NXaperture. Have you ever tried to determine the
size of the slit gap from NXaperture? - It is a nightmare to do this.

regards
   Eugen