[NeXus-committee] need help with class specifications: what's the meaning parentheses in member lists?

Pete Jemian prjemian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 17:10:57 BST 2014

Joachim:

The parentheses indicate default values.

In the case of type (and that particularly would be /data/ type), the
default NeXus data type is NX_CHAR when not specified in the NXDL.

See NXdata for examples:
http://download.nexusformat.org/doc/html/classes/base_classes/NXdata.html

In the case of the element name (and this only applies to groups), the
parentheses surround the suggested name of the group when it has not
been specified in the NXDL.

See NXentry for examples:
http://download.nexusformat.org/doc/html/classes/base_classes/NXentry.html

If you look carefully, you'll see that in each case, the suggested name
is obtained from the group by removing the "NX" prefix.

These comments should become part of the manual.  My suggestion is to
add them as notes on this page:

http://download.nexusformat.org/doc/html/classes/index.html

Thanks,
    Pete