[NeXus-committee] ill-documented array types

Joachim Wuttke j.wuttke at fz-juelich.de
Tue Jul 8 17:36:44 BST 2014

I am shocked by the following observation in the compound PDF doc,
release 3.1.

As an example, see the definition of NXlog, page 136.

According to column "Types" in the NXlogs Members table,
the members 'time', 'value', 'raw_value' are scalars.

However, according to column "Description" in the same table,
the members 'value', 'raw_value' are arrays.

While the word "array" is missing in the description of 'time',
I understand that 'time' must be an array as well.

Which means that the "Type" entries in the "Members" tables
are incomplete and misleading. An array of numbers is another
type than a number.

I almost don't believe what I am seeing:
A technical standard that does not clearly define data types??

Do you agree that there is a major problem?

- Joachim