[NeXus-committee] obsolescence and evolution: NeXus needs a historic dimension

Tobias.Richter at diamond.ac.uk Tobias.Richter at diamond.ac.uk
Wed Jul 16 14:27:58 BST 2014

I would agree with Joachim in at least that real world examples of a fully valid and useful NeXus files are not easy to come by. From a quick survey I could not find a single file in our examples that claims to conform to an application definition. And that seems to be the cases for many files to this day. So for the formal validation we're left with the absolute basics, which is of limited use to a consumer. You get something to plot (NXdata), so we're providing a poor version of, say, svg.

A lot can be learned by manually inspecting those files, if they are well written (some are, some are not). But we are in general quite some way of from being able to automatically process/analyse files from different facilities. That would meet my "valid and useful" objective. We're relatively close for MX, where we've had a huge influx of experience. In other areas we may never get to that state, because of the diversity of the experiments.

In general I would think we're going in the right direction and being a moving target has proven to be a benefit, I find. Because some initial solutions were clearly not fit for purpose. We still need to move a bit, see my recent comments about "access by name" (which does not work as advertised) or recording the scan intent (which we do not do). But the current move to the CIF transformations for geometry makes NeXus a lot more machine readable. We do need to be more precise in our documentation, though.

The NAPI/Container issue is an additional source for confusion. As Joachim highlights there are many things we do the way we do them for historic reasons. In the best case that requires a lot of explaining. But less patient or persistent people just end up doing things "wrong"/"their way" or being frustrated with the whole affair.

Tobias