[NeXus-committee] Event-mode

Peterson, Peter F. petersonpf at ornl.gov
Wed Jul 16 19:21:47 BST 2014

Names that are unknown to NeXus are not invalid. I think they get warnings
in the validation tools. Older SNS files were written with NXgroup, newer
ones have NXcollection. People aren¹t yelling about the legacy files so
we¹ve just left them alone. Mantid has a check for the name, opens the
group, and carries on.

On the topic of mantid, there is a LoadEventNexus (for event nexus),
LoadRaw (legacy raw file format), and LoadISISNexus (ISIS histogram nexus
files). This is more on point with what people were saying about things
being written against specific schema. Which is really what we are trying
to reduce.

The format of the events out of the DAS (as in electronics and live
streaming) is different, but the file written to disk should be the same
for event nexus files from ISIS and SNS. If your facility want to encode
the events on disk in a different format, then write a definition that
describes it, and expect that existing code will not (without
modification) be able to read it and understand it correctly. This isn¹t
saying that you aren¹t still writing nexus files. It is just that you are
creating a new definition with its own semantics. The idea behind nexus in
general is to use what exists as much as you can to reduce the amount of
diversity in the code that reads things in. If you want to just use HDF5
and not follow any nexus conventions, then you will have similar amounts
of reuse.

To really understand what nexus is, reread this email with the word
³ascii² in place of ³nexus². Šand are we using utf-8 or utf-16?

P^2