[NeXus-committee] obsolescence and evolution: NeXus needs a historic dimension

Tobias.Richter at diamond.ac.uk Tobias.Richter at diamond.ac.uk
Thu Jul 17 14:16:58 BST 2014

Despite being around for basically ever, application definitions haven't really taken off.
My idea would be to have something more light weight that isn't an exclusive property of the entry.

Instead of a "definition" field a (for illustration purposes) "tags" string array could contain values like:

"event mode"
"small angle scattering"
"monochromatic beam"
"time series"
"cif geometry"
"imaging corrections"
"scan"
"dichroism"
"crystallography"
"scanning microscopy"
"fluorescence"
Etc.

Those tags should as much as possible be compatible with each other. Obviously "event mode" and "monochromatic beam" are unlikely to occur together. But rather than prescribing a name for groups ("detector") we'd have tags for saying "I'm the small angle detector" and "I recorded the fluorescence".

The main advantage is that would allow us to validate some of the content Ray (and we here) use in an ad hoc way at the moment. And an reduction programme could say: I work on "monochromatic beam" NeXus files with "cif geometry", I do not understand "event mode". So you can construct a technique (or analysis programme specific) file definition from smaller components, or base vectors to explain my figure of speech above. For the validation code that would be a fairly straightforward change.

Subentries address a similar problem in some areas without addressing the underlying problem of application definitions.

Admittedly I'm making that up as I write.

Regards,

Tobias