[NeXus-committee] Terminology: "experiment" vs "beamline"

Osborn, Raymond rosborn at anl.gov
Thu Sep 11 12:51:31 BST 2014

Dear colleagues,
If NeXus is also handling processed data, then it may well combine results from more than one beamline, or even more than one facility. We plan to do joint refinements of x-ray and neutron diffuse scattering, combining both with simulations. I may want to store them in a single NeXus file. Note that “experiment” is used in the phrase, "NeXus defines a format that can serve as a container for all relevant data associated with an experiment.” The format allows more than one NXentry group from more than one beamline to be stored in this container. There may be a better word than “experiment” but I think “beamline” is too restrictive.

Best regards,
Ray
P.S. In my Mac’s dictionary, “experiment” is "a scientific procedure undertaken to make a discovery, test a hypothesis, or demonstrate a known fact.”