[NeXus-committee] where to publish: why not open access?

Herbert J. Bernstein yayahjb at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 11:52:56 BST 2014

I agree about the desirability of open access, but that may involve a
significant fee.
If that is an issue, inasmuch as we have credited NIH, we can and
should take advantage
of the NIH open access publication policy which requires  making NIH funded
articles open access after 1 year.   J. Appl. Crsyt participates in
that system as a "Method A" journal (with no fee) and also allows
immediate open access for a reasonable fee ($1000 US).  RSI also
participate in that system as a "Method A" journal (no fee for fewer
than 10 pages) or we can have immediate open access for the RSI open
access fee of $2200 US.  I don't see a similar set of arrangements for
NIM A online, but it would not
hurt to ask them.

My budget is very tight, so I would not be able to contribute much to
an open access
fee and would favor using one of the Method A journals  without a page
charge that
is willing to make the paper open access after a 1 year delay.

Regards,
    Herbert