[NeXus-committee] RDA workshop on cloud servers, April 3-4, 2017

Osborn, Raymond rosborn at anl.gov
Thu Dec 29 15:14:28 GMT 2016

Hi everyone,
As I mentioned in the last telco, there will be a workshop at the Alba Synchrotron, Spain, from April 3 to 4, 2017, to discuss the development of standards for cloud servers for neutron and x-ray scattering data. The URL is at https://indico.cells.es/indico/event/97. It is officially being convened by the RDA Photon and Neutron Sciences Interest Group as a satellite workshop to the next plenary meeting of the Research Data Alliance in Barcelona, on April 5-7 (https://www.rd-alliance.org/plenaries/rda-ninth-plenary-meeting-barcelona).  Brian Matthews, Frank Schluenzen and I are co-chairs, and Thomas Proffen and Andy Götz were involved in setting this up .

I think it would be useful to have some representation from others in the NeXus committee. I believe that cloud servers would be most useful if they provided access to files in a well-documented standard format with rich metadata, and obviously NeXus meets that criterion, so your support would ensure that view is heard. There was also a push to have additional items added to the workshop goals, including one on “Controlled Vocabulary”, which I think is a reference to RDA standards for, e.g., referencing facilities and instruments, that NeXus may need to be aware of. Since this meeting will attempt to lay the basis for a remote data access standard, it is potentially of interest to all facilities and scattering scientists.

Please let me know if you are interested in attending.

Happy New Year,
Ray Osborn, Senior Scientist
Materials Science Division
Argonne National Laboratory