Changes to NXopen

Przemek Klosowski przemek at rrdjazz.nist.gov
Thu Aug 7 21:55:24 BST 1997

Freddie wrote:

   >I thought that these global attributes were mandatory - in which case if
   >you put them into the arguments of NXopen you are making sure they are
   >always set.

Ray wrote

   I don't see any reason for making the global attributes mandatory,
   especially ones like owner_telephone_number.  I don't believe that we
   debated this thoroughly in the mailing list, but the only global attribute
   that I believe we must have is the NeXus version number and that would be
   supplied by the API, not the programmer.

The NEXUS doc originally suggested that only file name, date and NEXUS
version are obligatory; as Ray pointed out they can be produced
automatically. The remaining global attributes (file_history,
experiment_description, owner_{name,phone,fax,mail,email}) were optional.
I guess I'd side up with Ray here.