NeXus efficiency

Chris Moreton-Smith C.Moreton-Smith at rl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 9 12:07:40 BST 1997

We did actually discuss this possibility briefly at the SoftNeS'96 meeting when
Shiming Xu explained that the SDS was added to HDF quite late on to give
compatibility with (I think) CDF.

The reason for rejecting it was that John Tischler and the X-Ray people were
thought to be unhappy about people trying to read the HDF data from VDATAs
rather than "simple" top level SDSs and that a the format would then become
purely a NeXus format and would leave out the ability for pure HDF access.

For my money I would go straight for Vdatas because it immediately removes the
two possible ways of storing heterogeneous structured information (in
attributes and in vgroups) from our implementation if not the interface.  It
also gives a closer basis to the relational database model as Vdatas are
analagous to relational database tables.

What does everyone else think ?