Inefficiency comments

Ray Osborn ROsborn at anl.gov
Tue Sep 9 15:31:15 BST 1997

Mark Koennecke wrote:
>        At the bottomline I'am reluctant to add vData (and much more
>complexity)
>        to the NeXus API as long as nobody has proven with a profiler output
>        that his program spends most of its time writing NeXus. And it is
>        proven that vData are so much more efficient. Even then (case 1,
>        profiler) I would rather prefer to investigate if our data can not be
>        structured more efficiently.

I'm sympathetic to this viewpoint.  I just wanted to point out that we need
to do some benchmark tests, following the negative APS experience, and
should do them soon before NeXus is too well-established in its current
form.  Does anyone have the time to do so?  Actually, this issue will come
up at the forthcoming imageNCIF workshop to be held at Brookhaven in
October, because one of the reasons they give for rejecting HDF is that it
can't cope with their data rates (4MB/s).  They have invited someone from
NeXus to attend.

Dr Ray Osborn                  Tel: +1 (630) 252-9011
Materials Science Division     Fax: +1 (630) 252-7777
Argonne National Laboratory    E-mail: ROsborn at anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4845