NeXus Explorer Editor/Browser for NeXus files

Moreton-Smith, CM (Christopher) C.M.Moreton-Smith at rl.ac.uk
Mon Jun 26 12:28:30 BST 2000

We have had a student, Albert Chen, working for a while on a project
developing a read/write browser for NeXus files.

It is now at the point where I think it may become very useful for looking
at defining and editing NeXus files as it is possible to open a file, move
items around and rename them etc.  It is also able to save NeXus files in
XML for validation although the XML output is probably not ideal for this
purpose as yet.

Before releasing it more generally, I wanted to post it to a few people who
are closely connected with the NeXus effort to get some opinions on the
useability of the interface (before our student leaves at the end of
August).

The browser is also capable of doing one or two-D data plots from arrays
within a NeXus tree.  Currently, these are done using IDL but the browser
will work fine for looking at NeXus files without this.  We can supply free
IDL runtime licenses if anyone would like to try this facility out.

The kit is at:

	http://www.isis.rl.ac.uk/geniebinaries/NexusExplorerBits.zip

The current version works on Windows98/NT and W2K and is written in Visual
Basic for convenience but we are keeping the browser code Open Source so I
have included the Visual basic projects for the GUI, it would also be nice
to get the code cross platform by adding a TCL and/or Java GUI - any offers?
(the body of the browser relies on the Open GENIE data I/O routines which
are already cross platform).

any comments/suggestions woud be most welcome, probably best to mail them to

	genie at isise.rl.ac.uk

rather than to Albert directly.

thanks

	Chris

--
Chris Moreton-Smith, Software Development Manager
ISIS Science Instrumentation, CCLRC, Chilton, Didcot, OXON OX11 0QX
Email: C.Moreton-Smith at rl.ac.uk