Early workshop

Ray Osborn ROsborn at anl.gov
Wed Jul 26 19:13:38 BST 2000

I've been away for the last ten days or so, so I've let the NAPI workshop
organization slip for a while.  However, most of you said you should be
available in early September so I would like to propose a three-day workshop
from September 11-13.  That gives everyone over six weeks advance notice
which should be good enough for getting reasonable air fares.

Please check your schedules and budgetary situations and get back to me as
soon as possible telling me whether you can come.  I want to finalize dates
by the end of the week.  If September doesn't work out, we will have to push
it back to October.

I suggest external visitors stay at the Argonne Guest House, which is very
pleasant - the standard rate is $65 per night, although I have heard of them
giving reductions for workshops.  If you have any financial constraints
preventing you from coming, please let me know as soon as possible, and I
will see if we can get some funding support.  However, please don't ask
unless you really need to.

At the moment, the list of people invited is confined to this mailing list,
i.e. Freddie Akeroyd, Przemek Klosowski, Mark Koennecke, Nick Maliszewskyj,
Chris Moreton-Smith and Jon Tischler.  I think there could be a couple of
extras from APS interested, e.g. Eric Boucher and Brian Tieman, who have
made useful suggestions concerning the standard, and one of the purposes of
the workshop is to link up with the SNS effort that seems to be ramping up.
I don't want to make the workshop much larger, but if you think anyone else
ought to be invited, please let me know.  Remember that we will be
discussing basic programming issues rather than instrument definitions,
which will come in the big workshop next year.

Once the dates are finalized, we should discuss the agenda in more detail,
and define what preparation each of us can make so that we hit the ground
running.

Dr Ray Osborn                Tel: +1 (630) 252-9011
Materials Science Division   Fax: +1 (630) 252-7777
Argonne National Laboratory  E-mail: ROsborn at anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4845