NeXus workshop in 2001

Ray Osborn ROsborn at anl.gov
Sun Dec 3 19:04:22 GMT 2000

Mark had been pushing me for a while to set a final date for the NeXus'2001
workshop that we discussed at the last meeting, suggesting March 19-23 for
the combined NeXus/SCANS meeting (If you don't know, SCANS is a European
software collaboration; see <http://www.studsvik.uu.se/Software/scans.htm>).
I have been neglecting my NeXus duties because I was being worn down by
intense bureaucratic activity here at Argonne, but I eventually agreed that
March 20-21 would work since it doesn't clash with any major workshops here
in the US (the APS March meeting is the week before) and there are no other
neutron workshops recorded at
<http:///www.neutron.anl.gov/conferences.html>.

As I was about to announce this to the rest of the world, I realized that I
had never checked with the NAPI team to make sure that you are available for
those dates.  We must be well represented if the meeting is to be
successful.  In fact, I would like us to make a few presentations during the
meeting about recent developments, e.g. the Java data server and API
(Mark?), the use of XML (Chris?), object-brokering (Przemek?), installation
issues (Nick?).  Any other suggestions are more than welcome.  I have only
asked for two days to be booked since I wanted as many SCANS attendees to
come.  I didn't think they would want to spend five days away.  If you think
we need more time, please discuss it on this list.

Mark has already reserved rooms for the meeting, so please reply as soon as
possible letting me know if you are available then.  I only want to know if
you are free on those dates.  Don't delay in replying if you are unsure
about whether you can get funding, because I am confident that we will get
support from your various managers, and we'll look for other sources of
funding if you don't.

I apologize to Mark for stringing him along so long.  However, I hope to get
this show on the road quickly so please try and make these dates if at all
possible.  If possible, I want to make a complete public announcement in the
middle of this week.

Dr Ray Osborn                Tel: +1 (630) 252-9011
Materials Science Division   Fax: +1 (630) 252-7777
Argonne National Laboratory  E-mail: ROsborn at anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4845