[Nexus-developers] Roll-back of NeXus source code repository

Akeroyd, FA (Freddie) F.A.Akeroyd at rl.ac.uk
Tue Jun 18 14:57:08 BST 2002

At Rays request (so he can make some changes for NeXus 2.0 this week)
i have restored the NeXus CVS repository from backup
to its state as of Friday 17th May, which is just prior to the addition
of the "autotools" branch (the additions since then are currently saved
elsewhere). To avoid confusion, please do not commit changes from
any directories that you currently have checked out - instead you
should check out a new copy to a new directory and then copy across
any changes you want to make to this new directory before committing.
In the meanwhile, we should probably discuss how we want to proceed
with a new branch. The general CVS philosophy is that your main
development should be on the main "trunk" and branches be used for
(1) Applying bug fixes to a previous version when you are making
    major changes to your main source code
(2) If you are modifying sources from elsewhere, you put the unmodified
source
    onto a branch and then your own modifications of the files go onto the
main
    development trunk. If a new version of the "sources" appears, you also
    put them onto the branch and can then merge differences between the
    old and new sources back onto the main development arm.

With this reasoning shouldn't "autotools" be on the main trunk - not a
branch?
We can create a tag and branch for the source code just prior to adding
the "autotools" development in case we want to bugfix/ship an update to the
previous NeXus code?

Regards,

Freddie

Freddie Akeroyd                  Email:  Freddie.Akeroyd at rl.ac.uk
ISIS Facility                    Tel:    +44 1235 445457
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory   Fax:    +44 1235 445720
Chilton, DIDCOT, OX11 OQX, GB    WWW:    http://www.isis.rl.ac.uk/