[Nexus-developers] Final release

Ray Osborn ROsborn at anl.gov
Wed Sep 11 17:49:38 BST 2002

On 9/11/02 11:03 AM, "Akeroyd, FA (Freddie)" <F.A.Akeroyd at rl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Ray, do you mean update the "$Id" field in CVS? This could be updated
> to 2.0, but would rapidly become 2.1, 2.2 as mods were made. As you
> cannot go back numbers, we would then have version 2.1 of nexus with
> files saying 2.6 for example, which is similar to having files saying
> 1.33 for NeXus version 2.0 However, if the changes to the library are
> significant enough to make it desirable having 2.* version
> number, it is not hard to do. What is everybody's view? Only people
> who would look closely at the code would see these numbers anyway,
> so is it more useful having the number directly related to the number
> of code changes?

Freddie,
Yes, I do mean the Id field, and I realize that it is not the same as the
overall NAPI version number, which is set by the CVS tag (soon to be changed
to NEXUS_2_0_0).  However, since the Id number does have major and minor
version numbers, it seems sensible (at least to me) that we keep the major
number in sync with changes to the NAPI major version number.  I don't know
what the normal practice is.

Thanks for tidying up my NXtoXML code.  One thing I forgot to check with
Chris is whether XML defines standard delimiters for arrays of data.  I just
assumed that white space would do, since commas were more difficult to
program.  MSIE doesn't complain, and reformats the arrays with its own white
space, so I assume it's okay.

Dr Ray Osborn                Tel: +1 (630) 252-9011
Materials Science Division   Fax: +1 (630) 252-7777
Argonne National Laboratory  E-mail: ROsborn at anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4845