[Nexus-developers] RE: CVS restructure Proposal

Akeroyd, FA (Freddie) F.A.Akeroyd at rl.ac.uk
Mon Sep 22 11:48:46 BST 2003

Joern,

That looks good - I guess NXdict would live under src/NXdict (or src/nxdict
as we seem
to be moving away from mixed case) ?

I think we may also need:

CVSROOT/nexus
  contrib   -  user contributed programs (if any) we decide to include
  examples  -  examples of using the API (in various languages)
  vms       -  like win32, a special build (and for HDF4 only)
  doc
      txt   -  plain text version of API documentation

"doc/templates" and "doc/definitions" - this may need
a bit more thought as the class template/instrument definition documentation
could be
embedded within the XML used to describe their structure, hence these will
be generated
from wherever the XML is stored. We may thus need to draw a distinction
between the documentation
of the API and the documentation of the class templates/instrument
definitions themselves -
instrument editors would probably only want to work on the definition part
of the tree and
the NeXus API is useful as a stand-alone package. How about:

CVSROOT/nexus/definitions
  templates     -  XML templates for NeXus classes
      doc       -  documentation directory if docs not stored within xml
  instruments   -  XML instrument definitions
      doc       -  documentation directory if docs not stored within xml

If the documentation is part of the XML, the script used to make the various
install kits
will automatically extract it. As for where these "install kit builders"
should live,
I think Michael suggested CVSROOT/nexus/release

Re the web server: the web is both html and cgi scripts - maybe it would be
better to keep it
as a separate CVS entry and then automatically extract HTML from the web
when a release kit is built.

Regards,

Freddie