[Nexus-developers] NeXus makefiles

Mark Koennecke Mark.Koennecke at psi.ch
Tue Oct 28 10:47:31 GMT 2003

  High there,

  I'am currently working on the making the nexus stuff compile again.
  I have now introduced a file, make_general, in the top level directory.
  This file holds the flags where to find the HDF libraries and how
  all the flags necessary to compile and link nexus, including the flags
  selecting HDF4, HDF5 or both. This should be the only file which needs
  configuring through the user. All other Makefiles are supposed to
  include this one and be done with anything NeXus with this. Of course,
  in the language bindings makefiles you have to specify further machine
  specific things like location of Java, Tcl etc. If someone is opposed
  to this scheme, please speak up now, before I write this back to the
  cvs repository.

  Formerly we had two test programs: napi4_test and napi5_test. I now
  unified this, the program figures out from its own name if it should
  test HDF4 or HDF5. Example: napi_test runs the HDF4 test, napi5_test the
  HDF5 test. When building, napi_test gets copied onto napi5_test.
  The issue is that we are back to a single test program source file
  again. Any objections against the scheme?

  Another problem is the Fortran stuff. Up to know we had the F77 API in
  the same library as the C-API. The new structure suggest this not to
  be valid any longer. Shall I introduce new libraries:
  libNeXusF77.a and libNeXusF90.a? These would include napi.o and the
  necessary fortran stuff. Is there anybody out there with a better
  suggestion?

			Best Regards,

				Mark Koennecke