[Nexus-developers] Autoconf

Ray Osborn ROsborn at anl.gov
Tue Feb 17 21:05:59 GMT 2004

On 2/17/04 11:57, "Akeroyd, FA (Freddie)" <F.A.Akeroyd at rl.ac.uk> wrote:

> To automatically determine if "-p" was the option you need to specify a f90
> module search path I would need to write a test that tried to compile a
> fortran module and went through a list of possible compiler options until it
> found one that worked ... is -p universally used? If so all we need to do is
> check it is a valid option etc. and not what it actually does

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a standard switch.  For example, I
think some compilers use -M.  I'll have to make some inquiries about what we
should do.  There is a discussion of the complexities of F90 Makefiles in
comp.lang.fortran, e.g.,

<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=m2bs34z
i4e.fsf%40vega.att.dsl.net&rnum=5&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-
8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26scoring%3Dd%26q%3Dautoconf%2Bgroup%253Acomp.lang.fortran%26
btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch>

(If this URL doesn't work, I did a search on autoconf in comp.lang.fortran)

There are two problems; different compilers use (a) different switches and
(b) different conventions for module names (a.mod, a.MOD, ...).

Perhaps we should remove Nxdump from the list of targets.  It's not so
useful now that we have decent NXtoXML conversions.  The Nxtest is more
problematic though.

> All I could find on H5F_CLOSE_STRONG is that it is new in HDF5 version 1.6.0
> - I'm afraid I haven't build with HDF5 myself yet so can't say any further.
> I'll put back a modified configure with hopefully a fix for -p and the cpp
> and await any comments on "nxconfig.h.in" or "napi.h.in"

Fink have now updated their HDF5 distribution to 1.6.  Indeed, the
compilation now works for both HDF's, which is good news.  However, it means
that the API is not backwardly compatible for those with pre-1.6
distributions.

Uwe, can this be fixed to work for both 1.4 and 1.6?  I guess we can
probably tell everyone to update their version of HDF, but I would prefer
not to.

Thanks again, Freddie.  We're nearly there with autoconf.  Anyone want to
tackle RPM's?

Best regards
Dr Ray Osborn                Tel: +1 (630) 252-9011
Materials Science Division   Fax: +1 (630) 252-7777
Argonne National Laboratory  E-mail: ROsborn at anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4845