[Nexus-developers] autoconf

Jens Krüger Jens.Krueger at frm2.tum.de
Thu Feb 19 09:03:10 GMT 2004

Hi,

I was surprised to see that you are working on the use of autotools in the building of
the NeXus lib. As you can remember I started the first try some month's ago and it
ends in a 'disaster' in the CVS.

Thats why I will send you a patch against the current CVS. In this patch I include
the following things:

- autogen.sh - a script to generate the complete autotools suite for nexus.
- COPYING - the copyright information (LGPL)
- AUTHORS - the names and email-addresses of the developer (not complete yet)

- some additional Makefile.am's
- changed configure.ac

- the use of the libtool package to create the libraries in static and shared form.

All this changes lead to a complete installable tar.gz file.
You make check this by typing:

make distcheck

The result of this command should be:

nexus-2.0.0.tar.gz is ready for distribution

Some additional remark to the files in the CVS. I suggest to remove all generated files like:
Makefile.in
configure
nxconfig.h.in
config.guess
config.sub
and so on
otherwise you have always problem with cvs conflicts if you are change some of the Makefile.am's
or the configure.ac file.

Due to my experiences with the use of automake, autoconf, and libtool I would like to help you to
integrate these tools into the NeXus development.

If you agreed with my patch, I would check in the changes into the CVS.

Regards

Jens

--

Jens Krüger