[Nexus-developers] FW: Updating libtool

Jens Krüger Jens.Krueger at frm2.tum.de
Mon Mar 1 07:49:31 GMT 2004

Ray, Freddie

now I'm back from my holidays, and I can try to find an answer to your question.
If you have installed a version of libtool lower than 1.5.X it may be possible, that it
works. I don't know. There are two ways to solve this problem:
1. Install the libtool from tarball into a local directory (e.g. $HOME/libtool) and add to
   the PATH variable $HOME/libtool/bin (this is the way I prefer)
2. Lets try to go down to version 1.4.3 of libtool and see what happens.

If you are using the older versions of autotools you may get in trouble with some
constructs in the Makefile.am's. The syntax has changed from version to version
a little bit. It has become more convenient with the newest versions. It seems to be
painful to install  these versions of autotools but remember, that the user sees only
the tarball from NeXus. In the tarball the installed version of autotools are not relevant.
The tarball contains all. The autotool versions are only important, if you are working
on the CVS.

Am Dienstag, 24. Februar 2004 10:36 schrieb Akeroyd, FA (Freddie):
> Ray,
>
> I've built using 1.4 as I don't have 1.5 installed and a shared NXbrowse I
> created seemed to work OK. I'm not so familiar with libtools to say if it
> could make a real difference - I enclose a patch for autogen.sh and will
> await confirmation from Jens as to whether allowing 1.4 might cause any
> problems
>
> Freddie
>
> P.S. I'm away shortly until next Thursday

Please look at http://www.rpmseek.com or http://www.rpmseek.org. For the most
distributions you may find a rpm.

If you don't find a rpm for your distribution you may create it from a source rpm.

> > Ray
> > --
> > Dr Ray Osborn                Tel: +1 (630) 252-9011
> > Materials Science Division   Fax: +1 (630) 252-7777
> > Argonne National Laboratory  E-mail: ROsborn at anl.gov
> > Argonne, IL 60439-4845

Regards

Jens