[Nexus-developers] Re: NeXus & autoconf

Mark Koennecke Mark.Koennecke at psi.ch
Tue Apr 27 08:26:28 BST 2004

 High,

 when running autogen.sh I get the following error output:

Using autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
Using automake (GNU automake) 1.8
Using libtoolize (GNU libtool) 1.5.6
Locating GNU m4... /usr/bin/m4
Preparing the use of libtool ...
done.
Building macros...
done.
Building config header template...
done.
Building Makefile templates...
configure.ac: installing `config/install-sh'
configure.ac: installing `config/missing'
applications/Makefile.am: installing `config/depcomp'
bindings/f77/Makefile.am:30: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
bindings/f77/Makefile.am:30:
bindings/f77/Makefile.am:30: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
bindings/f77/Makefile.am:30: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
bindings/f90/Makefile.am:30: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
bindings/f90/Makefile.am:30:
bindings/f90/Makefile.am:30: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
bindings/f90/Makefile.am:30: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
bindings/java/Makefile.am:31: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
bindings/java/Makefile.am:31:
bindings/java/Makefile.am:31: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
bindings/java/Makefile.am:31: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
bindings/java/Makefile.am: installing `config/compile'
src/Makefile.am:44: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
src/Makefile.am:44:
src/Makefile.am:44: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
src/Makefile.am:44: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
done.
Building configure...
done.

  The simple things are right: the desired variable is in configure.ac,
  I have the required versions of the auto tools, I even made sure that
  no older tools which are in the path can be accessed.

  The resulting configure script fails to generate a couple of files
  which seem to be needed during compilation (.lo files, .la files).

  What is wrong here? If building the configure script is such a pain,
  why don't we leave a good one in the cvs repository?

                     Best Regards,

                           Mark Koennecke