[Nexus-developers] NeXus autotools

Mark Koennecke Mark.Koennecke at psi.ch
Tue Jun 15 14:40:57 BST 2004

Freddy,

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Akeroyd, FA (Freddie)  wrote:

> >   This may be less standardized. Make sure that the --with-java option is
> >   properly honoured (or taken as JAVA_HOME). I have at least three Java
> >   versions on my box....
> >
> --with-java currently specifies the name of the JAVAC compiler. We have a
> few options:
> * add somethink like  --with-java-home=   as a separate option
> * make --with-java   specify JAVA_HOME rather than JAVAC; we may then need
> to add a --with-javac option in case JAVAC is not "javac"
>
> Personally I feel  --with-javac  should specify JAVAC and --with-java
> specify the separate JAVA command, which would leave --with-java-home  for
> the SDK install directory. What do other packages do though?

  I personally prefer --with-java-home. This is perfectly clear. Do we
  need the other two? If you have java-home, both javac and java should be
  in $JAVA_HOME/bin. If javac is not there, you only have a Java runtime
  and you are in deep trouble. You should also use the javac in
  JAVA_HOME/bin, otherwise you may be mismatching java compilers and the
  JNI files. This could work but this is very dodgy.

				Mark