[Nexus-developers] Problem installing NeXus 3.0.0 on Mac OS X

Bilheux, Jean-Christophe (j35) bilheuxjm at ornl.gov
Mon Jul 25 18:51:45 BST 2005

Hello everybody,

Michael Reuters (that I would like to thank another time) and I tried to
install again NeXus 3.0.0 on my Mac OS X. Here are the problems we had.

I attached first the current.env and current.machine files describing the
system I use.

First we downloaded the HDF4 source (latest official realease: 4.2r1)
Before we compiles and installed it, we had to install the jpeg libraries
(libjpeg, libjpeg-bin and libjpeg-shlibs). To do that we used the
FinkCommander.

The compile and make went smoothly.

Then we did the downloaded the xml library. We tried the Mini-XML 2.2.2 and
the FreeBSD port 2.2.2 versions. Both seemed to compile and make correctly
but here are the error message we get when we try to "make" into nexus-3.0.0

ld: warning -L: directory name (/lib) does not exist
ld: table of contents for archive: /usr/local/lib/libmxml.a is out of date;
rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed

When we try the same thing without xml

./configure --without-xml

Here what we get:

g++ -g -O2 -o nxdir main.o string_util.o tree.o data.o data_writer.o
-Wl,-bind_at_load  -L/usr/local/lib ../../src/.libs/libNeXus.a -lmfhdf -ldf
/sw/lib/libjpeg.a /usr/local/lib/libxml2.a -ldl -lpthread
/usr/lib/libiconv.dylib /Users/j35/hdf5-1.6.4/hdf5/lib/libhdf5.a -lm -lz
ld: Undefined symbols:
_fprintf$LDBLStub
_sprintf$LDBLStub
make[2]: *** [nxdir] Error 1

I can't wait to work on NeXus 3.0.0 so I hope you will be able to help me
solving this problem. Thanks a lot to all of you.

Jean

---------
Jean-Christophe Bilheux
Spallation Neutron Source