[Nexus-developers] Steps towards NAPI-4.0

Mark Koennecke Mark.Koennecke at psi.ch
Tue May 2 10:35:25 BST 2006

High,

I made a couple of steps towards NAPI-4.0. The newly commited version of
NAPI supports:
- group attributes
- NX_LOAD_PATH
- external NeXus file linking.
- Three new NAPI functions to implement external linking.
See the attached HTML file for details. The function testExternal in
napi_test.c is also a nice usage
example. We agreed only on NXinquirefile. However, the feauture that
NXopengroup and NXclosegroup seamlessly
switch files when necessary had the disadvantage that the napimount
group attribute which  controls this became hidden.
Thus NXlinkexternal and NXisexternalgroup became necessary  in order to
control and inquire about linking.

All three new functions are available in the C, F77, Java and swig
API-s. NXbrowse has been updated to deal with the new feautures.

What still needs to be done is some more testing especially on the
windows platform. As of now the automatic
testsuite is broken. The tests run successfully but the output has
changed because I added more tests. Moreover for
the tests to run successfully, it is necessary to make NX_LOAD_PATH
point to to the directory containing the test programs or to run the
test programs in that directory. I did not make changes to NXdir; I
think P^2 is faster on this then me.

While working on this I found yet another build bug: When building the
Tcl-Swig adapter , the shared library was renamed
to nxtcl.so. When loading this, Tcl complained that it could not find
Nxtcl_Init .  Rightly so, because the shared libraries
init function was called Nxinter_Init after the file from which the
interface was generated: nxinter.i. The solution is easy:
- either make the shared library be named libnxinter.so
- or rename nxinter.i to nxtcl.i.

Before committing this I tagged the version on cvs to nexus-3-last such
that we can go back if the new feautures fail us.

                             Best Regards,

                                               Mark