[Nexus-developers] Unicode in NeXus

Mark Koennecke Mark.Koennecke at psi.ch
Mon Mar 12 10:02:55 GMT 2007

Peter,

Peterson, Peter F. schrieb:
> What is the state of unicode characters in a NeXus files?
>
> We are starting to have people ask if they can get Unicode into files
> and I want to be able to give an informed answer. I think the answer is
> "not now", but would people ever want to have it? Do HDF4/HDF5 limit
> this (xml itself is fine, but not all parsers are Unicode compliant).

Peter, The mXML dumcumentation says it is unicode capapable. But neither
HDF-4 or HDF-5
provide for Unicode. At least it is not listed as a supported data type.
Then there is the question:
which Unicode? I know of at least two representations. One uses 16 bit
characters throughout
and could go into a NX_INT16 type.  The other is mostly 8 bit character,
but there are special
escapes ro allow for 16 bit characters. This, IMHO, can go into a normal
string type.

                    Best Regards,

                               Mark