[Nexus-developers] [Nexus] NeXus API 4.0.0

Rudi Cilibrasi, Ph.D. cilibrar at gmail.com
Tue May 29 15:59:01 BST 2007

I hate to embarrass myself, but an anecdote is in order.  The biology nexus
file format is, unfortunately, extensible and has many different named block
types.
It's entirely possible that there could be a block type called "Muon" or
"Neutron"
or "XRay" or perhaps something like the pre-existing "DISTANCES" block that
contains a matrix of numbers.  This is in fact what misled me into
mistakenly
packaging the wrong NeXus library for Debian.  I was completely confused by
the name, did not realize the capital X was crucial, and thought that the
XRay
part was just a special extension to the more generic and extensible Nexus
file format.  This was of course a bad assumption but I suspect I will not
be
the last to make it.  Incidentally, does anybody know a good reason why we
cannot solve the problem by combining the two libraries some day?  e.g.
unifying the formats and adding just a new block type or a few new types
so that one format can subsume two seperate and incompatible ones without
two much headache?  I am hoping for any solution since, for example, we
are already packaging both libnexus and libNeXus for Debian at the moment
because there is substantial interest in both libraries.  And I have pretty
much
finished the packaging for the NeXus so far.  If the NeXus committee does
not
make a disambiguating name, packagers will have no choice but to make one
up for themselves and this couldlead to a bit of fragmentation perhaps in
both
library's official name.

Best regards,

Rudi