[Nexus-developers] NAPI Release

Mark Koennecke Mark.Koennecke at psi.ch
Thu Oct 23 14:38:59 BST 2008

Hi everyone,

I think we should really get a release together before the next NIAC. Or
may be discuss the current
issues at NIAC and release soon after.  With the new C++ binding, the
new IDL binding and the new
python binding we have enough to justify a release.

I now had a look at the open tickets and I wonder what we still need to
do for a release.  Thus I now give my views
and invite you to protest or comment:
- I am happy to skip all those minor issues
- the C++ Api is done isnt' it? There is even a test for it. Or am I wrong?
- Table support for XML is done, too? Freddy?
- The 2d character array issue is painful and unclear and I am happy to
push that back to 4.3.
- The string length issue hits a limitation in HDF and should be closed.
- The improved error message for NXtranslate should be demoted to minor.
It is so unimportant that PP lived
  with it for more then a year.
- The scheme support is unclear, Freddy what is the status?

The other issue is testing. I already tested our current kit
successfully on:
- Scientific Linux 5(required new autoconf)
- Ubunbtu Hardy Heron
- Mac OS X Leopard
At minimum we need a test on XP and Vista. Can someone do that? I do not
have Windows development tools
installed. And no Vista anyway.

Best Regards,

              Mark