[Nexus-developers] hdf4 issues

Paul Kienzle paul.kienzle at nist.gov
Wed Jan 14 17:36:21 GMT 2009

I fixed the i8 issue for hdf4.  Easy enough.

I also noticed a problem in which hdf5&xml allows getattr with a
string of exactly the right length, but hdf4 requires space for a
null terminator.  I put the extra space in my python binding for all
platforms.

Now I'm breaking in my function entries() which iterates over all
children of a group.  This is because getgroupinfo returns the
complete path on hdf5, but only returns the current group name for
hdf4&xml.  Looking at the docs, hdf5 is returning the wrong thing.

I would much prefer to ask nexus where it thinks it is rather than
maintaining my own concept of path.  That way I don't have to
reimplement the logic of relative paths and group/data distinctions
of NXopenpath and NXopengrouppath.

I propose that NXgetgroupinfo be fixed for HDF5 and that a new
NXgetpath function returns the current path.

Can this be done in time for a 4.2 release?

   - Paul