[Nexus-developers] Mac OS X Installation

Ray Osborn rosborn at anl.gov
Mon Feb 23 20:57:42 GMT 2009

I have not been able to do any computing for quite a while, but I
needed to demonstrate the Python binding for NeXus that I had
operational on my Mac a few months ago.  Since then, I had upgraded
from Mac OS X 10.4 to 10.5, so I had to reinstall everything.
However, installation has been fraught with problems, even with stable
releases.  I installed HDF5 in /usr/local, but the configure script
failed (it was 1.8.2, but NeXus was expecting 1.6).  I then installed
it again using the Fink package manager, but then the Make command
failed, etc.  I have now given up for the time being.

The point of this message is not to discuss the problems themselves,
which can get resolved gradually through the Trac system, but to
suggest that we make it an urgent priority to have package installers
for all operating systems. If we can't make it easy for all the major
operating systems (and Mac OS X does count, in spite of some opinions
to the contrary), then we won't get additional users.  I'm motivated,
and I'm ready to give up.  I would like to suggest that the package
installers have to bundle compatible versions of HDF4, HDF5, and mxml
as well to make installation really trivial.

I would propose that we fix this before the next release.  Do we have
the necessary expertise within the NeXus developer community or do
people know others with the right expertise?

Ray Osborn
Materials Science Division
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL 60439, USA