[Nexus-developers] NeXus project plan, second draft

Ray Osborn ROsborn at anl.gov
Tue Mar 10 17:37:06 GMT 2009

Mark,
Sorry not to have participated in these discussions for a while, but I
think this is an excellent document that should help to clarify in our
minds just what the NeXus priorities should be.  I certainly
appreciated the candid critiques of what has been happening at the
NIAC, and why progress is sometimes so slow.

Here are a few comments:

1) Organization

The fact that everyone is still working on NeXus as a 'volunteer',
even when the format is the declared standard for the facility and
most of the NIAC members have software development as part of their
job description, is troubling.  It suggests that we have not done
enough to persuade our management that NeXus is now a critical part of
their mission, and we have perhaps not persuaded ourselves that we
should be committing more of our own time (myself included, although I
do virtually no software development now).  We have spent so long
doing this in our spare time that we have got used to it, and haven't
realized that we should now be arguing for it to be otherwise.  There
are exceptions, of course.  Much of NeXus early progress was due to
the fact that people like Mark committed themselves to getting the API
completed, but we need to find a way for NeXus to become part of more
people's day jobs.

I suggest that we revisit the idea of seeking funding for NeXus from
the facilities, at least in the area of travel support to meetings.
Attendance in Australia was low for this very reason.  A facility
subscription to NeXus will ensure that management will pay attention
to ensure that they are getting value for their money.  I heard a
worrying report that the management at one major facility, closely
involved in NeXus development, has concluded that it is no longer
worth supporting NeXus.  I think that happened because of this
disconnect, and we don't want it to become part of a trend.

A couple of NIAC meetings ago, I talked about efforts that we are
taking at Argonne to try and secure more funding for computational
issues at facilities through an institute known as ASISI.  Those
efforts had been stalled because of stagnant budgets at the DOE, but
there is a realistic prospect of a better funding climate with the new
administration, so I will keep you posted if we get any positive
news.  If ASISI does get funded, then I would propose, at least
temporarily, to become the ASISI representative on the NIAC, so
solving the problem of what to do with dead facilities like IPNS.
Perhaps the constitution would have to be amended to allow members to
represent facilities and/or scattering institutes.

2) NeXus Software

Since I have had some problems installing NeXus on my machine, I might
be behind the times here, but I think another key application would be
a simple GUI browser, i.e., a GUI version of NXbrowse with simple
visualization added.  I think if this were a standard part of the
distribution, it would help us explain the value of NeXus to others.
There was some work in this area a few years ago, but it seems to have
stalled.  Also, if we ever got more software resources, a Web 2.0
interface would be useful for institutes with catalogued data online.

I also would reiterate my plea that we simplify NeXus installations,
since the biggest barrier-to-entry would be an inability to install
NeXus in the first place.  It needs to be trivial.  I'll see if I can
find someone at Argonne to help with Mac OS X, but we need to have a
systematic way of addressing holes in our operating system support.

3) Processed Data

I haven't thought about this as carefully as I should, but can't we
just define processed data as

<NXentry>
   <NXsample>...</NXsample>
   <NXdata>
     e.g. S(Q) or S(Q,w) or whatever vs Energy or Q or whatever
    </NXdata>
</NXentry>

and then declare victory and go home?  The long title of the data
items  and the axes would define what the data contained.  In
principle, since this is processed data, we don't need any
instrumental data, except perhaps a link back to the original
NXentry.  We could also have multiple NXdata items for non-contiguous
patches of (Q,w)-space.  I presume that is what you meant in your last
sentence.

4) Opportunities

I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of seeking active collaboration
with DAVE, DANSE, etc, to make sure that NeXus is embedded in their
products in a sensible way.

With best regards,
Ray