[Nexus-developers] Discussion about NeXus/HDF5 at synchrotrons

Mark Koennecke Mark.Koennecke at psi.ch
Thu Oct 8 14:55:12 BST 2009

Dear Gerd Wellenreuther,

Wellenreuther, Gerd wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> right now there is a discussion about how to use HDF5/NeXus-files for
> both quick sharing of data as well as use as the primary dataformat at
> synchrotron radiation sources (e.g. PETRA, ESRF, Soleil). Maybe you
> could help in the discussion and would like to join? We are also
> thinking about having a workshop at the ESRF either this year or
> beginning of next year. Please have a look.
>
> You can find the discussion at
> http://groups.google.com/group/mahid/topics . If you would like to
> participate the easiest way is to tell me, then I can invite you.
>
> Thanks for your attention,
>
> Gerd

During the last PANDATA-meeting, we decided to look into organising a
data formats workshop, probably at PSI.
PANDATA is a european initiative for collaboration on data sharing,
data  catalogs, authentication and some.  I think
DESY is represented by Ralph Schluenzen. Back to the data formats
meeting: we intended to have both NeXus experts
and someone from the CBF, imageCIF community, hopefully Andrew Hammersly
attend. The idea came up as I realized
that many of the hows and whys of NeXus seem not to be known in the
synchrotron community. Thus the meeting is
meant to both disseminate information and to discuss synchrotron data
format problems. Our timeline was early
spring. I henceforth suggest that we join forces on this issue and
organise this together. I would not mind if this meeting
happens in Hamburg either. Do you have any money to organsise this? I
have not, yet.

Please let me know what you think,

Best Regards,

                 Mark Koennecke