[Nexus-developers] Multi-dimensional NXlog?

freddie.akeroyd at stfc.ac.uk freddie.akeroyd at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Nov 2 13:40:20 GMT 2009

Hi,

We have an experiment next cycle where an oscilloscope trace associated
with the experiment will need to be stored several times during the
experiment (so that is y(x) for nx fixed x points, captured and recorded
a few times during the experiment). I was wondering what the best way of
storing this would be - I can see two options:

(1)    A multi-dimensional extension to NXlog - "value" would now be a
multi-dimensional array and an "axes" attribute would indicate the
additional axis array stored in the NXlog

(2)    Just use an NXdata with one of the axes being "absolute time",
though we may want to define a convention (like in NXlog) for time
relative to some specified origin

As NXlog was designed for time-sampled data, (1) feels more natural -
what do people think?

Regards,

Freddie

--