[Nexus-developers] NIAC Talk

Herbert J. Bernstein yaya at bernstein-plus-sons.com
Mon Sep 20 18:07:04 BST 2010

Dear Mark,

       Your slide contain one very serious error.  I most certainly did
not say that "imageCIF is mostly dead".  On the contrary, imgCIF/CBF
is heavily used as the primary format for the Detris detectors and
can now be handled by most of the major processing packages.  It has
long been accepted  by mosflm and adxv, and now is even accepted by
HKL2000.

      You may have confused my remarks about mmCIF with my remarks about
imgCIF.  mmCIF has has a negative reaction from the community primarily
because of poor communications about it with the PX community, and
because of rapid (often weekly) changes without full documentation
and without full software support.  On the other hand the root
reason for those rapid changes in mmCIF is that it is an essential
working tool used in the operation of the Protein Data Bank.  In some
ways it suffers from the same problems faced by NeXus -- the conflict
between doing what people need to do to a standard specification
to get their own work done versus the very expensive careful engineering,
documentation and support needed for a viable standard for common
use by a wide community.

      Please send this correction to all parties to whom you
distributed that most unfortunate and incorrect remark, and
in the future, please note that my name is spelled "Bernstein"
not "Berstein"

      You may be interested to know that we are going ahead with full
integration between CIF and HDF5, especially because CIF provides
the database-oriented view of the data that HDF5 currently lacks.
We would very much like to cooperated with NeXus in this effort.

      Regards,
        Herbert

At 4:46 PM +0200 9/20/10, Mark Koennecke wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>this is a draft for the talk I intended to give at the NIAC. Please comment.
>The details  about coordinate systems are still missing because I am
>waiting for feedback from
>either Herbert Bernstein or APS.
>
>Best Regards,
>
>           Mark
>

>Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:NexusNIAC.pdf (PDF /«IC») (0080AAD1)

         Idle Hour Blvd, Oakdale, NY, 11769

                  +1-631-244-3035
                  yaya at dowling.edu