[Nexus-developers] [NeXus-committee] NXguide and NXmirror

Mark Koennecke Mark.Koennecke at psi.ch
Thu Nov 18 16:10:02 GMT 2010

Pete,

Pete R. Jemian wrote:

> NXguide and NXmirror look a lot alike.  Almost identical.  I'm editing
> NXmirror now based on feedback from the DESY workshop last month.
>
> There are two TRAC tickets that apply as well:
> http://trac.nexusformat.org/definitions/ticket/41  NXguide
> http://trac.nexusformat.org/definitions/ticket/45  NXmirror
>
> From my limited point of view, NXguide is redundant. If you agree, we
> should consider deprecating or removing it.  However if you object to
> that proposition, please take on the job of providing much better
> documentation, especially the initial documentation string that now
> reads "Template of NXguide".

I agree that NXguide is in bad shape. But basically a guide consists of
several mirrors building a shape through
which neutrons can be guided. The simplest such form is just box shaped.
But these days people are building
elliptical guides too. The individual parts of a guide usually have the
same characteristics but there are cases
where they are different. I now start wondering if we should make
NXguide a collection of NXmirrors each having
their own NXgeometries describing where they are. But I disagree that
guide are superfluous.

Mark