[Nexus-developers] Naming of the python modules

Ray Osborn ROsborn at anl.gov
Tue Dec 20 15:38:07 GMT 2011

Hopefully, you got my message to the NeXus Mailing List concerning the revised tree API. As a follow-up, I would like to change the name of the module from 'nxs' to 'nexus' if there are no objections. It's a minor point, but I would prefer to do 'import nexus' and it would probably make more sense and be more memorable to the average user. I don't think we have a coherent naming scheme for all the different language bindings and I'm not sure that 'nxs' is used anywhere else.

Could the developers who were involved in the relevant discussions let me know if there was a good reason for not using 'nexus', such as concerns over name clashes with other projects. There isn't another nexus in the Enthought distribution, so it doesn't look like it should be a problem.

With regards,
Ray Osborn
Materials Science Division
Argonne National Laboratory