[Nexus-developers] NeXus Quo Vadis

Pete R. Jemian jemian at anl.gov
Mon Feb 20 17:07:05 GMT 2012

I like this.

On 2/20/2012 10:54 AM, "V. Armando Solé" wrote:
> """
> 2. Store your data in a simplified hierarchy using NXentry and
> NXcollection groups. Apply a lot of
> freedom how you do this.
> """
>
> NXentry mandatory.
> NXcollection for anything not dealt with by other NXclass.
>
> If you want to describe your beamline, then there is a group
> (NXinstrument) for that. I would not write it into an NXcollection.
> Personally I like how ALBA is generating Nexus files.

This is actually a good model for the EPICS areaDetector, NeXus file
plugin, to use.  So, the basic structure I have been recommending is:

<file>
    NXentry (required)
      NXdata (required)
        data : contains the image
      NXcollection (optional)
        user-supplied list of uncategorized metadata
      NXinstrument (optional)
        metadata organized as defined in the NeXus dictionary

links may be used to avoid replicating information, if that is important

  Pete R. Jemian, Ph.D.                <jemian at anl.gov>
  Beam line Controls and Data Acquisition, Group Leader
  Advanced Photon Source,   Argonne National Laboratory
  Argonne, IL  60439                   630 - 252 - 3189