[Nexus-developers] NeXus Fortran bindings OSX,Linux

Mark Koennecke Mark.Koennecke at psi.ch
Tue Jun 5 13:25:46 BST 2012

Hi Ron,

nice to hear from you again!

Sorry that you have so much trouble with Fortran. I am sorry, Fortran is
no a longer a priority these days. We are preparing for a new release.
May  be that one fixes some of the issues.

On 06/01/2012 12:24 AM, Ron Ghosh wrote:
> Installation of NeXus libraries
>
> To examine new ILL data in .nxs format I attempted using
> the NeXus software donload from the web site onto Mac-OSX
> version 10.5.8 (leopard, 2008), and fedora core 11 (x86_64, 2009)
>
> Mac_osx
> Using hdf5-1.8.5
> The .dmg package installed without any indications of the location.
> I subsequently found this in /usr/local/... There was no manifest.
> There was no uninstall.  There were no fortran header file napif.inc
> or NXmodule.f90.  I failed to build the examples; I did not have the
> hdf4 library installed. I was using an HDF5 library which should
> match the leopard system, which installed and checked through its
> tests. There are two variants of hdf5, with fortran, without shareable
> libraries, and without fortran, with shareable libraries.  I built
> both; the latter is used with h5py, which I built successfully.
>
> Since I had no idea of the configuration of the nexus build I decided to
> copy the sources and build the library configuring without hdf4,
> without xml, with fortran
>
> I noted that the fortran bindings were not installed, and the fortran
> test evidently failed.
>
> Taking NXmodule.f90 from the /bindings directory the program compiled
> manually but then crashed on running; gdb example in script.

I am not sure that we put the Fortran bindings still into binary kits...
It should build from source though. The F90 binding has not been
maintained for
some time. We concentrated on the F77 one which works for F90 too.
> I tried the napi_test.c  After editing napiconfig.h the program compiled
> and ran.
>
> I finally tried running napif5_test.f with the napif.inc header.  The
> fortran entry points are not in the library libNexus.a

They are in libNeXusF77.a

> The build and running scripts are in build31may.rtf
>
> Linux
> I checked the rpm and found that the fortran headers were missing.  Again
> there is no manifest, or indication of the configuration used.
> Installation
> failed through missing dependencies.
>
> Script in fed11inst
>

> There are a few conflicts between the installation instructions on the
> WIKI and
> the main site; it is not clear which is the more relevant; those on
> the WIKI seem
> better.  For the distributions the documentation in the READme and INSTALL
> and RELEASE notes constitute rather a mixed bag.
>
> The distributed fortran headers NXmodule.f90 (3.9) doesn't match the
> current
> version 4.2.
>

> I am thus a little disappointed in that none of the fortran examples
> seem to work,
> and there is a lack of information on installing and checking.  It is
> really hard work to find the necessary matching components.  For HDF4 the
> website note on potential problems on mac-intel is broken.
>
> Distributing a run-time set of libraries could be considered; this is
> a necessary option for OSX since they are easily located with the
> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.
>
> For programs that only read data use of the hdf5 libraries only is a
> possibility.  This would reduce the problem of installation to a single
> package.
>
> I have not tried the Windows versions.
>

> I would be grateful for comments on these apparent system sensitivities;
> this summary note is the consequence of more than 10 builds and tests.

Please try the next release kit:
http://wiki.nexusformat.org/NeXus_43_Testing
This will be the one we fix issues against.

Best Regards,

             Mark