[Nexus-developers] For multi dim axis discussion

Pete Jemian prjemian at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 09:38:55 BST 2012

On 9/20/2012 2:19 AM, Ray Osborn wrote:
> P.S. This is another reason why I regret canSAS going off on its own. We are now having to repeat debates in two separate organizations.

Ray:

It is very possible that you and others misunderstand this point.

The canSAS forum is fully independent of NeXus and makes its own
decisions based on its own schedule and purposes.  NeXus chooses to
support a larger, more diverse community.  CanSAS is highly focused on
more specific goals for small-angle scattering.  In recent years, canSAS
considers NeXus and compatibility with the NeXus format and that is a
new activity; previously, no such interest existed.  To the extent that
the NeXus hierarchy fits (either now or as suggestions for future
change) the view of the canSAS community's interest in representing data
for analyses, there is a positive benefit to NeXus from repeating the
debates.  Part of the debate in various communities I've seen (APS,
canSAS, workshop at DESY) is that the data model and its description is
not an obvious perfect fit, otherwise the debate would be abbreviated.

Do not regret the actions of canSAS.  At worst, they are helpful to NeXus.

Pete