comment: XML as ASCII data format

Joern Beckmann Joern_Beckmann at FRM2.TU-Muenchen.DE
Fri Apr 6 10:20:03 BST 2001

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Tanya Maria Riseman wrote:

> If you have to use tools to use XML in a reasonable manner,
>  I don't think that it is worth the effort. Chose either HDF or XML for
>  both raw data and treated/reduced data so the users only have
>  one set/style of tools that they absolutely must learn.

The point is, that XMl will not only be used by scientific data but will
become a common data format also used by spreadsheets, text processors,
internet applications and stuff.
So users will have to learn XMl anyway and scientfic data will be just
another area to use XML knowledge. I think this is the right way to look
at things. NeXus can easily live without XML but the adoption of XML will
allow easy transfer to the outside world.

Joern

Joern Beckmann			    |	Tel: (089) 289 14682
Technische Universitaet Muenchen    |	Fax: (089) 289 14666
ZBE FRM-II Bau			    |
Lichtenbergstrasse 1, 85747 Garching|	Email:Joern_Beckmann at frm2.tu-muenchen.de