[Nexus] HDF compatibility issues

Frédéric OTT fott at cea.fr
Wed Aug 28 13:29:08 BST 2002

Dear Nexus users,

I have recently implemented Nexus I/O for my programs (in order to have
a flexible data storage).
However, I am experiencing a limited compatibility with General Purpose
HDF plotters (such as Compaq Array Visualisator or Transform)

The main problem is related to the way the X, Y lambda scales are stored.
In the Nexus format, the axis have "axis" and "primary" attributes.
However, this convention is Nexus Specific.
In general HDF files, the data sets containing the scales are stored in
the 2D sets as a reference to the sets containing the scales..
This means that when reading Nexus files in a HDF plotter, the axis
values are lost (and have to be reconstructed, tedious).
I am correct? (I might perhaps  have missed some point) but no function
to do that seems available in the Nexus API.

Could it be possible to add some function in the Nexus API in order to
put a reference to the axis sets in the data sets themselves so as to
have a better HDF compatibility?

What is your opinion?

Frédéric OTT
Lab. Léon Brillouin CEA/CNRS