[Nexus] Re: compiling NeXus on OSX

Ray Osborn ROsborn at anl.gov
Tue Sep 17 20:19:41 BST 2002

On 9/17/02 11:00 AM, "Jon Tischler" <TischlerJZ at ornl.gov> wrote:

> I just got a copy of the new NeXus, and tried to make it on my OSX
> mac.  It didn't work the first time, but after a few small changes, I
> the test program ran.  I have not tried to run anything else yet.
>
> The changes that I made were the following.
>
> 1)
> Since I installed the HDF using fink for OSX, i changed in "makefile_options":
> #H4ROOT=/usr/local/hdf4
> #H5ROOT=/usr/local/hdf5
> H4ROOT=/sw
> H5ROOT=/sw

I probably should have made a specific reference to Fink in the README file.
I think it's the only port of HDF5 to Mac OS X so I had to make exactly the
same changes you made.

> 2)
> in the makefile_options, I used the flags suggested for
> #Compiler flags for g77 and Absoft Pro Fortran 90 on Mac OS X
>

> 3) I do not have an Absoft fortran compiler, and did not want the
> Fortran interface either, so I changed the all: line in
> "makefile_hdf5"
>
> from
> all: libNeXus.a napi5_test napif_test NXbrowse NXtoXML NXtoDTD

> all: libNeXus.a napi5_test NXbrowse NXtoXML NXtoDTD napif_test
>
> The make still fails at the napif_test, but that is no problem since
> all of the C code is already built.  It might be nice to have an
> option to be set somewhere which suppresses the fortran code
> compilation.

You're right that we should make it easier to leave out the Fortran if
necessary.  Someone has already looked into producing a proper autoconf
installation, so that could be one of the configure options.

Dr Ray Osborn                Tel: +1 (630) 252-9011
Materials Science Division   Fax: +1 (630) 252-7777
Argonne National Laboratory  E-mail: ROsborn at anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4845